Inane Ramblings

25 April 2007

An old box of magazines...

Good Morning.

About a year ago, my inlaws gave us a box of old National Geographic magazines. It's sat in a corner of the dining room for months, forgotten and unchecked.

We've been meaning to go through them, but never had the time. Now that Mrs. TriSec is out of work again, she's started some small cleanup projects around the house. First among them was that weird corner of the dining room where everything had piled up.

She called me at work yesterday, wondering what to do with 'that old box of magazines'. I said, they can be thrown out, but if they're vintage, hold onto them. As luck would have it....they are indeed vintage!

We've got stuff from the early to mid 1970s, and inexplicably, a single issue from 1954.

I was going through it last night, and what I had hoped for was there, a couple of issues detailing Apollo 14 and 17 (and hopefully more, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of the box.

I also found issues on my beloved Nova Scotia, and a couple that bear reading about Syria and "Iraq's Embattled Kurds". Some things never change.

The 1954 issue is mostly about colonial Williamsburg, which was a terrific find, considering that we are visiting there this summer. I can't imagine it's changed much since 1954. Probably hasn't changed much since 1754.

But what's really fascinating....is the ads. There's plenty of cars in there, including some old and boxy looking Toyotas, and a massive 1970s Chrysler Town & Country wagon. Interesting to note that the mpg was listed in one of the Toyota ads....I have it as 25 highway/17 city. While small cars have improved significantly since then, that's still about the norm for a midsize SUV.

You want to buy a TV? Sony also had a full-page ad for their wide-screen TV and "Commander" VHS cassette system. What a monstrous looking thing. And the TV had a "new" synchronized remote that allowed you to change from channels 2-83 instantly!

On the back of a mid-70s magazine is a full page ad for Mazola Corn Oil....and since corn doesn't grow cholesterol, there's none in our oil! I see nothing much has changed on that front, either.

There's also things for slide projectors, turntables, defunct airlines....it's really quite fascinating.

But I did have a 'modern' moment while leafing through these old relics. I was idly wondering if any of the older companies might still be in business. Without even thinking, my eyes automatically went to the bottom of the ad to look for a website!

Whatever did we do before the internets?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home