Inane Ramblings

17 February 2009

Promise to nightmare

Today started with such hope.

A bright sunny day, heading towards spring, and I'm off to work and an interesting place. In many ways, the dream job I've always searched for.

About ten days ago, I discovered that one of my accounts was sending a bogus report; we weren't doing anything with it. Unfortunately, that meant a client was not getting all their information.

Naturally, it was our fault. Or my fault, because I never picked up on it.

Anyway...we tried to fix what we could, got things in the pipeline to be corrected, and smoothed things over with the client.

To no avail. I got fired today.

I don't have a "seagull manager"...I've had one of those before. This one is different. She came in to another department, and in one of the company's infamous "re-organizations", wound up overseeing my team in a job she really wasn't suited for.

From day one she was after me.

The company does many things, but one over-arching thread is that we're different. Either you "get it" or you don't. She never "got it", and has been constantly scrambling and covering up her own shortcomings.

It's curious; for weeks, I'd tell her the same things over and over, explain the same processes, over and over, and she'd never retain that information.

I used to be team lead. One of the first things she did after taking over was think of an excuse to bust me back to a regular "analyst". The person she moved to team lead is also new; he's doing the job less well than I did, but is her "golden boy", so can get away with it.

Over the past month, I've seen a lot of things I didn't like; so naturally I was blowing the whistle to make people notice. I even heard from friends outside the department that 'something was coming' and to keep my eye on things.

All of that mattered not; I guess it was easier to silence the critic than to take a look at what's broke.

I'm sure the company will soldier on, it's "too big to fail" now. But there's a hole in my former team, my dear friend and office wife is heartbroken, and I face an uncertain future with little or no money in the bank.

Hallelujah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home