Inane Ramblings

12 November 2010

Just some thoughts

I’ve been feeling a little paranoid recently. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I suppose it’s a wee touch of the PTSD.

Those of you that follow this space know how much of a victim of this economy I have been. In 2009, I got laid off from one job, lasted 60 days at another, 30 days at one more, and then became a contractor with no benefits for almost a year.
In short, I was always looking over my shoulder for that assassin.

I am now on my 5th job in less than 2 years, which is fortunately a “permanent” position. I’m still on new hire probation, and things still seem to be going well for the moment. But I get nervous every time I see my supervisor talking to the department manager or whenever I see the HR folks lurking around. Just this morning, I saw one of our HR staff huddled with the boss at her desk, and I broke out in a cold sweat. But she was just ordering lunch! I sure hope this feeling passes at some point.


Speaking of passing feelings, I had an old friend from high school deface me over Veteran’s Day. Yes, you read that right. I don’t have to preach to the choir here; you know where I’m coming from. In any case, I updated my status to thank our vets and disparage the incoming congress, since we all know what will happen to the veterans once the Tea Party is in charge. Anyway, she took exception, said she was tired of all my ‘hate’, and defaced me. I guess there are some among us that we’ll never reach, no matter how hard we try. Suffice to say, you can argue with me all you want over veteran’s issues, but know this going in: You Will Lose.


Finally today, something that ties back to my first point. In 2008, I attribute the start of all of my job troubles to passing up an opportunity to relocate to Maine. Collateral damage was also sustained to my Scouting career, as I was planning on taking the top-level adult training called “Woodbadge”. Since I thought I might be relocating, I decided to pass on it, reasoning that it wouldn’t be fair to my Pack to go through the training and then leave town so they derived no benefit. There was a class last season for the Scouting Centennial, which I could not go to for monetary reasons. But now we have next year’s class ready to go, and I have found out from the Scoutmaster that it’s the 75th anniversary of the program next year, and some special things are planned. I’m thinking I’m going to take it; it will be a nice bookend to the past two very tumultuous years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home